Saturday, January 15, 2011

Brandon Wilks - Nationwide Craigslist Scammer - Beware!

This is so heinous I have to tell the world:  

If you have applied for a job thru Craigslist, and it seems this is nationwide, and you get a reply from a Brandon Wilks, RUN, don't walk, and for heaven's sake DON'T click any enclosed links.

It's a scam to get your info and credit card number.  He's currently operating with the return email address of ADEXIMEDIA . com, and if you do a Google search on them


you will see all the scams they are running.

Here is one example:  http://www.examiner.com

I had responded to an ad for a part-time tax preparer in a local office of a national chain.  I thought it would be fun to make a few extra dollars for a couple of months, and I'm quite qualified, the ad also stated 'paid training if needed'.  This was before Christmas.  Got a reply right away from the same Mr. Wilks at a different email address, which I researched, and learned that the website had only been registered 2 days before.  

The reply I received (almost immediately) was obviously canned, referred instead to an Office Assistant and Errand Runner Position, and offered an amazing wage for those duties.  It directed me to a link to perform a required "free credit check", which I was to print out and bring to an interview.  I was curious, and responded that it was my understanding that employers always did their own credit checks, and I would be happy to discuss that at the interview.  In addition, he never once mentioned the name of the business that was in the original ad.  The "free credit check" link went to a NOT free subscription site requiring SSN and CC numbers, which of course I did not complete.  Never heard from him again, until yesterday.

In today's research, I have learned that email scammers and spammers worldwide also took a Christmas holiday, and that would explain yesterday's canned missive: (punctuation his)

Hi there, its Brandon.

I havent heard back from you in a few weeks and i wanted to email you myself and say thank you for applying.

We did hire another employee for the office assistant position we had available.There is good news though, we
will be holding interviews Monday January 25th-28th 9am-3pm for a full-time Receptionist/office assistant position.
We feel that you fit the position perfect and i would like for you to complete the application process.
I noticed that you didnt finish one of the required fields for the application. AFTER you complete a basic, simple IQ quiz to give the Head of Human Resources
please send a preferred interview time to Brandon@adeximedia.com and we will move forward and setup the interview.
I ask for you to not send me the results but rather print out the report or use the
save to email option and bring it in with you to the interview.

Perform your Quiz here:

http://www.employeeiqtest.com/applicant.php?uid=pIjHoL56aCKGohxE

I look forward to hearing from you,
Brandon Wilks

Here's my reply:

Hi Brandon ~

If you would not change your email so frequently, you would have heard from me sooner.

I'll take your IQ test as soon as you read this article:
http://www.examiner.com/cyber-crime-in-national/adeximedia-com-running-job-scams-on-craigslist

Did I pass?
 

Don't fall for this junk, folks - read that article I link to, it has many helpful tips to keep you safe, and ALWAYS do your research before giving away your personal information and numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment